Guinea Pigs/UTI or something else

Good evening
My guinea pig is a male 5 years old. Until this year he was very healthy and very strong.
He had a surgery for breast cancer back in May.Everything went well.
Then he had some kind of eye injury at the same time his upper teeth broke.
One of them grows back, the other no. We took him to the vet very often.
The doctor could not explain what is going on with his teeth. They said they never saw something like that.
And now something else. He has blood in his urine.
He took antibiotics baytril for two weeks and he still has blood in urine.
The dr continued the treatment for another two weeks.
He is very active, but he lost weight that he is not putting back despite eating and pooping
Very, very much. He is now 1160 g.
We took x-rays and he doesn't seem to have stones.
He is crying when he pees sometimes.
We love him very much, and we would like to have some other opinion.
Is this UTI? Something is wrong with teeth breaking as well...
What can we do to help our little guy?
Highly appreciate your help,
Thank you,

The teeth typically get broken either by chewing on the bars of the cage or being dropped and bumping the mouth. He is an old boy by cavy standards, so he may be experiencing some of the problems of old age.

If he's crying when he urinates he's telling you he has pain. If he has bladder stones that's very painful, but an ordinary urinary tract infection can be painful as well. If he's not responding to the antibiotics I would suspect it's more likely a stone and antibiotics aren't going to help that.

I can't explain why he keeps breaking his teeth either. It's unusual and makes us wonder if there is a calcium issue going on. Because of his advancing age finding a diagnosis is more difficult.

Many pigs begin to lose weight as they advance in age. We call it a 'wasting syndrome' and simply put is an indicator that they're bodies are no longer working or digesting like they should. It's often an indication of their time to leave us soon.

I wish I had something more positive to offer. I'm afraid this is something that you and your vet need to follow closely. He may just be telling you his time is coming to a close. He's been a happy and healthy pig for five years and that's a tribute to your good care. Unfortunately things like this don't go on forever so we just pray for a peaceful and painless end when the time comes.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.