Guinea Pigs/Wild Thang

I want to take my guinea pig to a new home which requires some traveling. I was training him today I usually put him a soft pillow case and let him sit in my lap. He usually lets me pet him and stays still for ten minutes before acting up. But today he just wanted to escape. I never seen him at so wild. I am wondering if he needs to be neutered. He just turned one year old but he is becoming very aggressive. He will try to grab all the food out my hand by pulling it with his teeth. I put him in a bin and he tried to just jump out. What can I do to train him? Should I neuter him and would it make a difference in his behavior? I did not buy him when he was a baby so that might be an issue as well. I only have one guinea pig as well.

Adams dip
Adams dip  
I doubt that neutering him will change his personality to any noticeable degree. It sounds like what he needs is just more lap time.

Another thing you might consider is treating him for mites. They can make a pig irritable and unwilling to sit still because of the constant irritation under the skin. They're easy to treat and don't require a trip to a vet. You can use some Adams dip on him, just be careful not to let it get into his eyes. Just follow the directions on the bottle, make sure he is saturated by the water dip, then let him drip dry. That will take care of any critters he might have 'made friends' with.

Cavy mites and/or lice are not going to go anywhere but on another pig, so don't worry that you might get something from him. You will not.

If he's not used to being in a bin it's only natural that he will try to get out. Any pig will do that. Don't get discouraged, it just takes a little time. The more he's handled the better he will be. You might also have better luck just wrapping him in a towel with just his head sticking out. The bundling calms them down and will allow you to stroke his head and hold him. He will soon learn that he's safe and doesn't need to be frightened.

Another thing to think of is that every pig has that few moments in the day when they get the crazies and will run around their cage as if something is chasing them. It's just a way to burn up energy and most pigs do it early in the evening.  

Whether you've had him as a baby isn't really the problem. Every pig has a different personality, but sooner or later they learn to quiet down when held. Try not giving him any treats like a carrot or lettuce until you have him in your lap. That way you represent "the food lady" and he will look forward to your company.

Patience is the key. As for traveling they are good travelers and don't require anything special as long as they have fresh food and water. While in the car I would not hang a water bottle as they tend to leak because of the motion. Lettuce is an excellent water replacement and doesn't make the cage wet. At night you can hang a bottle for him and he'll be just fine.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.