Guinea Pigs/behavior of guinea pig

Question
I have had my guinea pig for about 19 days he has always played and weaked when we went to his cage. now he stays in his igloo does not week. could he scared or stressed. he does come out to eat.

Answer
If he's not eating there's something wrong. Are you feeding him a good quality all green pellet made for guinea pigs and not rabbit food?  Do NOT feed the type of food you buy in the grocery store with the colored fruit loops, seeds etc to your pig.  

Kaytee makes a good product that is nothing but guinea pig pellets. I can't stress that enough the importance of feeding the right thing. They cannot live on just fruits and veggies. Those are treats only.

I would take that igloo out of the cage completely. He's using it to hide and it gives him a way to stay away from human contact. Take it out.  You can put it in the cage at night to sleep, but not during the day.

When you approach the cage speak to him to let him know you're coming. Guinea pigs quickly learn that the rattle of a plastic bag means lettuce or carrots. My entire caviary will begin to sing when they hear that sound, or even just the snapping of a carrot. So when you come to the cage try coming with just a small piece of something. A tiny chunk of carrot is still enough to excite him. He learns you're the 'food lady' and will come out to greet you.

Too many treats will prevent him from eating what he needs, just as giving nothing but french fries and chicken nuggets to a child will do the same thing.

If his food dish is getting empty then he's coming out to eat when you're not there.  Also make sure his water bottle is working and that he's drinking. If the water isn't going down then tap the end of the spout to make sure it actually is not stuck.  

Hopefully just a little change in his routine might make the difference. Please let me know how this works for him.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen