Guinea Pigs/Health Insurance and possible mites

How can I get affordable health insurance for my guinea pig? I just recently got him almost 24 hrs ago almost like a pet resuce. But he's scratching occasionally but not too much I wasnt told much about his medical history? How would I found out if he has lice or mites and how to treat them and also how to get health insurance for him

Adams spray and dip
Adams spray and dip  
I've never heard of insurance for guinea pigs, but I'm sure there's always someone out there that would love to take your money, however I don't think it's a very smart thing to do.

He could have mites or even lice. Most pigs get them occasionally and they aren't a big issue. Go to your local pet store and buy a product called Adams dip or spray.  If you're suspecting lice I would recommend the dip.

It's inexpensive and very easy to use. Just follow the instructions on the bottle. Don't mix it any stronger than what is recommended. You can use a small shoe box size container, or just your bathroom sink.

Put your pig into the solution and use either your hands or a small cup to pour the solution all over him. Don't put it on his face, just hold the head up a bit and let the solution run from behind the ears.

The trick is not to dry it off.  Let him sit in a box or in his cage on a towel and allow him to drip dry. Do NOT use a hair dryer. Just let him drip dry as the instructions tell you.  One treatment is usually enough to take care of both lice and mites.

They are not the kind of parasite that gets on anything but another guinea pig, so don't worry that you might catch something from him. That's not going to happen.  

As far as his health history very few rescues can give you that information because they don't get it. People just drop off unwanted animals and there is rarely a history that accompanies them. But guinea pigs are a fairly healthy species. The occasional mites are not an issue.  Treat him once every three months and he will be just fine.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.