Guinea Pigs/pregnant guinea pig Sheila

Question
Sheila
Sheila  
Sheila
Sheila  
QUESTION: Hi, I have a pregnant guinea pig and I definitely know that she is pregnant. I have been doing a lot of research and she is already separated and away from all the others. thing is, is that everywhere I look mostly everything is the same but people say when you can see kicking in her stomach and not just feel it but really see it then she's either 2-3 weeks or 2-3 days and I'm not sure which on it is. I know she has to be getting close. I would like help because I would like to know when I should be expecting them so I can help her if she needs help. Thanks so much!!

ANSWER: It's not often easy to predict the date of delivery. The general rule of thumb is that you can feel the babies kicking about two weeks before delivery. You shouldn't have to do a thing for her. Cavies are excellent parents and she will know just what to do.

Just keep her in a quiet place and don't handle her anymore than absolutely necessary. Before you know it you'll wake up to a few extra little faces peeking up at you. Just keep the camera ready and let her do what she is supposed to do.

QUESTION: Okay Thank you so much I was also wondering if you could tell me the different dilations so I can keep track and the spot in which to find that? Thanks so much for all the help! she is really big and is bigger than the other piggie we have that was showing signs before Sheila does this mean a bigger delivery? Do you have any other information that would help and things that I should watch out for or be aware of? Thanks again and thanks in advance!

ANSWER: The size of the mom's belly has really nothing to do with the size of the litter. Human moms are the same way, sometimes you see a pregnant woman that looks like she can hardly stand up yet she has a normal size baby. And we see women who are hardly big at all and have an 8 lb baby.  It's just got to do with how you're built.

About 48 hours before delivery the pelvic bones start to loosen up and spread. If you just gently put one finger right at the vent (the genital opening) you can feel the bones. Normally they're about 1/8 in apart. As delivery gets close they loosen up and are slightly moveable to the touch and will spread to about 1/2 in. That's to allow the babies to pass through the birth canal.

As big as she is now I think it's best for you to leave her alone and not do too much handling. It's uncomfortable for her because her belly is so full.  She will handle everything just fine by herself. Sometimes our good intentions are not the best for the animal.  

This is the hard part for you now, waiting patiently. The babies will come when they're ready.

QUESTION: Hello again, and sorry to ask another question; but my other guinea pig pumpkin is dilated at about an inch if i'm feeling right and shell is under half an inch.  but for pumpkin is an inch okay? again sorry for the questions, i know not much when it comes to guinea pig pregnancy.

Answer
Yes, they can dilate up to one inch. I think the safest thing you can do for both the pregnant girls is to stop trying to examine them. It's stressful and not necessary. Pumpkin is probably getting ready to give birth at any moment, it could be now or it could be tonight. So give her the privacy and quiet she needs so she can feel safe enough to have her babies.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen