Guinea Pigs/Sick Guinea Pig

Question
4 mo. old guinea pig diagnosed with Pneumonia. Treated a month ago but sickness persisted. On stronger dose of medication; still eats/drinks/poops regularly, still has wheezing, has lost function of left eye (which also turned red), his head tilt has worsened, and his left ear has fallen down (used to stand up).  

What is potentially wrong? Does this realistically seem curable?

Thank you.

Answer
The head tilt is indication that there was an inner ear infection, which causes the balancing mechanism inside the ear to be unable to maintain proper balance thus the head tilts. The ear that has fallen is most likely a reaction to that same problem. In most cases that head tilt is permanent and when you lift the pig up it gets worse.

Guinea pigs do not do well on medication. Too often what happens is a secondary infection caused by the antibiotics and the problem worsens. Most pigs will sound wheezy if you put their chest to your ear. This is often diagnosed as a respiratory infection when in fact it is not.

Realistically, no I doubt this is going to go away. The good news is that the pig is eating, drinking and pooping regularly. I would stop the medication.  For ear infections they usually respond better to low dose prednisone to help reduce the inflammation that's causing the tilt. But in most cases that tilt stays.

At this point it's been too long for prednisone to help. Steroids, although they have a remarkable way of helping, can also cause more trouble if used indiscriminately or for too long.

Anatomically the ear has a mechanism inside that works like a water level. When you put the level on a flat surface the water inside the tube will always go to exact level. If you tip the level the water will travel to the other side to find where level is.

The ear does the same thing. It compensates for the fact that we're living on a round, not flat planet.  Gravity spins us around and keeps us upright on the ground.

If that 'water level' is damaged by infection or injury it doesn't know which way is up. Thus the head will tilt to what it thinks is upright. Unfortunately in most cases it never completely heals back to normal and the pig is left with a permanent tilt.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen