Guinea Pigs/Skin Problem

Jo-Anne wrote at 2015-11-18 10:07:24
Hello,

Just had the grease gland problem with my little piggy.  Coconut oil and I am not kidding! No I don't sell it or own any coconut oil companies.  It really works for messy jobs.  It is also antiseptic so may help to prevent infection.  Seems to break down animal messes that are dry and difficult to remove from fur (and grease glands).  

Noticed problem night before last - Earlier in day, applied coconut oil (to soften).  

Later on dipped his rear in warm water washed with vet oatmeal shampoo and rinsed.  Then with alcohol washed tweezers tried to pull a little out to see if it would work.  It was soft enough I was then able to squeeze everything out.  I also cut the fur around the gg to keep clean.  Did not re-wash as I was afraid I might actually cause an infection. Made sure he was clean, applied more coconut oil.

Day 2 I did not do anything but I should have just applied more coconut oil.

Day 3 after I checked again (this was tonight).  Should have applied more oil to him though day 2.  He was too dry but I was able to squeeze more out tonight.  I did not want to squeeze it out two days in a row because afraid of injuring him.  Also, thought he could be sensitive from day one.

So now he is looking much better.  This time applied mixed coconut oil and a small amount of polysporin CREAM not ointment.  Will check him tomorrow again. Obvious relief for him.  Did not move allowed me to do all of this without complaining.

I really don't sell coconut oil although it sounds like it.  It really works.  Love it for my cats too.  Very good for skin issues as well.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen