Guinea Pigs/group dynamics

I have 5 young sows, Bella (7 weeks old), Skye (9 weeks old), Summer (9 weeks old), Daisy (12 weeks old) and Jasmine (15 weeks old). Currently they are housed in two 1200mm cages stacked on top and joined with a long ramp so they can access both.Generally they get on quite well and none mind being handled. Skye is very submissive, Summer, Daisy and Jasmine are equally dominant (don't fight but will occasionally nip each other if they are in their way). I haven't worked Bella out yet, she is always the first one out for food but if another pig comes for it she is happy to share and doesn't fight for it. This last week she's been waiting until the other pigs are sleeping and then running around their beds nipping them and squeaking then running to the second level where the 3 dominant pigs wont go. When all of the pigs are awake Bella goes around grooming them and licking their ears... is she just mischievous? should i separate some of them while they are young?

firstly sorry for not getting back for so late, i have had a busy few days,

the pig sounds like quite a character and yes you do get badly behaved and prankster pigs. while they are young it is best to keep them together, at the ages they are they are starting to define themselves and their heirarchy, i would say that bella is the crafty contender and will likely become the dominent one, and their can only be one "queen" then there is the next in charge and the next after that etc. so long as they do not fight then if i were you i would let them get on and enjoy what sounds like a pretty amusing herd.

all the best

Guinea Pigs

Sam Amison

I can answer most questions on breeding rearing and housing, though I would like to stress now that unless someone is wishing to keep all the offspring produced I do not support breeding. I have reasonable experience with illnesses and can offer a few remedies. I have a high level of knowledge on handling, social habits, herding and dietry requirements, as well as being able to deliver a crash course in their natural habitat if people wish to know.

I have owned guinea pigs for several years and was formerly a fosterer for a rescue home and as such have experience with common illnesses, pairing, constructing and managing housing and of course handling (also having just moved I am going to resume a rescue role shortly) and have in the past bred them.

I am a member of the Cavy Club website.

None relavent to this topic.

I do not possess any credentials in this area other than charitable work, but I have worked with what must be hundreds of guinea pigs in the past and as such have learned a lot about the little blighters!

None relavent to this topic.