Guinea Pigs/guinea pig

we are wonderful owners of a guinea pig, due to my grandson having allergies now. its a much are we to feed her and do they need alot of attention? and how often do we clean her cage? we want to make sure were doing everything right with her..thank you , lori

of course, as a rule of thumb just keep her bowl full with dried pellets or guinea pig mixture and every now and then (a couple of times a week) feed her in addition some kitchen scraps, mainly carrots, leafy greens and the odd bit of apple. but avoid iceburg lettuce pineapple kiwi and most of all citrus. the general rule for guinea pigs is the more watery it is the less they can have and the more acidic less still. cleaning the cage really depends on how big it is and the pig itself, some people barely ever need to clean a cage others need to twice a week. you will find that she tends to wee in one area, this is the area that will smell, i would replace the sawdust and perhaps wipe that part down with a damp cloth either every day or ever other depending on the smell and then do either a fortnightly or weekly full cleanout again depending on smell more than anything.
as for socialising guinea pigs are much better off in pairs, but i can understand if you have been given rather than got a pig that you might not want to do that. she will probably need a reasonale amount of socialising, i tend to think of it in the same levels as a cat, a nice little petting on the lap while you're wstching television is a good amount, but you will have to build up trust with her first, if you are able to keep her (or routinely move her for a couple of hours) to somewhere like the kitchen or living room while in her cage this will help her feel socialised and get used to you as well, if you were to get another female and bond the pair then you would not really need to give them any attention unless you wanted to, generally spekaing two is less work than one.

thats about it really, when you start to look after them you'll find they are hardly any trouble at all.
any further questions then please get back to me

Guinea Pigs

Sam Amison

I can answer most questions on breeding rearing and housing, though I would like to stress now that unless someone is wishing to keep all the offspring produced I do not support breeding. I have reasonable experience with illnesses and can offer a few remedies. I have a high level of knowledge on handling, social habits, herding and dietry requirements, as well as being able to deliver a crash course in their natural habitat if people wish to know.

I have owned guinea pigs for several years and was formerly a fosterer for a rescue home and as such have experience with common illnesses, pairing, constructing and managing housing and of course handling (also having just moved I am going to resume a rescue role shortly) and have in the past bred them.

I am a member of the Cavy Club website.

None relavent to this topic.

I do not possess any credentials in this area other than charitable work, but I have worked with what must be hundreds of guinea pigs in the past and as such have learned a lot about the little blighters!

None relavent to this topic.