Guinea Pigs/Guinea pig doesn't want to be held

hello, my 5 year old male Guinea pig, Chocolate, always loved to be held and petted. He was very cuddly and interactive. For the past month or so, he has not even wanted me to touch him, and runs around jumping, shaking and squealing as if in pain. Do you think something may be wrong with him? He is otherwise normal - eating, drinking, and responding.Thank you!

there are a list of things that could be wrong, but the short answer is yes there likely is something wrong, it could be something as simple as a skin irritation or as serious as a URI/impaction of some sort. for safety sake i would have him looked over by a vet as it is goin to be a far more accurate diagnosis than from some chap on the internet who cant physically see him pigs do not tend to drastically change behaviour like that so suddenly.

all the best.

Guinea Pigs

Sam Amison

I can answer most questions on breeding rearing and housing, though I would like to stress now that unless someone is wishing to keep all the offspring produced I do not support breeding. I have reasonable experience with illnesses and can offer a few remedies. I have a high level of knowledge on handling, social habits, herding and dietry requirements, as well as being able to deliver a crash course in their natural habitat if people wish to know.

I have owned guinea pigs for several years and was formerly a fosterer for a rescue home and as such have experience with common illnesses, pairing, constructing and managing housing and of course handling (also having just moved I am going to resume a rescue role shortly) and have in the past bred them.

I am a member of the Cavy Club website.

None relavent to this topic.

I do not possess any credentials in this area other than charitable work, but I have worked with what must be hundreds of guinea pigs in the past and as such have learned a lot about the little blighters!

None relavent to this topic.