Guinea Pigs/guinea pig housing,,,

i have two questions. if your buying a guinea pig, do you have to get two? would it matter? and if so is this cage to small?

erm, it should be okay for two girls, though the rule is the larger the run the better, i would buy as large a cage as you can possibly fit, though it sounds backwards the larger the cage the less you have to clean. no you do not have to get two guinea pigds but i would advise that you do as the guinea pigs will be happier and live longer (and have fewer illnesses) if they have a partner, if you decide not to get two then you will have to spend a great deal of time socialising with the pig eg petting grooming etc a couple of hours every day

all the best

Guinea Pigs

Sam Amison

I can answer most questions on breeding rearing and housing, though I would like to stress now that unless someone is wishing to keep all the offspring produced I do not support breeding. I have reasonable experience with illnesses and can offer a few remedies. I have a high level of knowledge on handling, social habits, herding and dietry requirements, as well as being able to deliver a crash course in their natural habitat if people wish to know.

I have owned guinea pigs for several years and was formerly a fosterer for a rescue home and as such have experience with common illnesses, pairing, constructing and managing housing and of course handling (also having just moved I am going to resume a rescue role shortly) and have in the past bred them.

I am a member of the Cavy Club website.

None relavent to this topic.

I do not possess any credentials in this area other than charitable work, but I have worked with what must be hundreds of guinea pigs in the past and as such have learned a lot about the little blighters!

None relavent to this topic.