Guinea Pigs/guinea pig possibly pregnant

I got a female guinea pig 3 weeks ago, she is roughly 3-4 mnths old I have 4 other girl's aswell, I messaged the previous owner approximately 1 week after I got her to let her know that she was settling in well, then she mentioned she may be pregnant, as she was housed with boys before coming to me(apparently her whole life) don't think she's to far along if she is, since i've got her she's put 30grms on, what are the chances she is?

The chances are extremely high that she's already pregnant.  The good news is that even being young she will deliver without a problem.  

There's no way you can tell exactly when she will deliver but you can make an educated guess judging by when you feel babies moving. That's typically about two weeks prior to delivery. There's nothing different that you need to do for her other than keeping her cage clean and keep plenty of food and fresh water in front of her all the time.

Guinea pigs have a built in maternal instinct so you don't need to separate her from the other females unless they aren't getting along. The other sows will be good nannies to the babies and will help to take care of them. Some of them may even try to nurse the babies even though they're not pregnant or nursing already.

It's unfortunate the previous owner didn't share that information with you at the time you got her. That would have been the responsible thing to do.  But the bottom line is there is nothing you can do about that now. So just enjoy the new babies, they grow very fast.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.