Guinea Pigs/Hair Problems

My guinea pig is short haired, but it stick out everywhere. I have noticed that it's going bald neat the butt and stomach. She always felt wet or greasy so I looked at her fur and where she has fur there seems to be dark dirt like stuff that is hard to get off.. Should I be worried?

its mange or a fungi infection, quite common, especially in res and abby's which is what your breed belongs to, just nip down the the local pet store and buy some mange spray or shampoo and apply as instructed, id also buy some ear drops for her and check to make sure none of the black dirt stuff is lurking in there, if it is then get her down to the vets as this can be potentially serious.

mange in itself is not serious but can become serious if it is left untreated, other than that though it is probbaly the most common illness that guinea pigs get and more pigs get it at least once in their life time than dont get it at all.
all the best

Guinea Pigs

Sam Amison

I can answer most questions on breeding rearing and housing, though I would like to stress now that unless someone is wishing to keep all the offspring produced I do not support breeding. I have reasonable experience with illnesses and can offer a few remedies. I have a high level of knowledge on handling, social habits, herding and dietry requirements, as well as being able to deliver a crash course in their natural habitat if people wish to know.

I have owned guinea pigs for several years and was formerly a fosterer for a rescue home and as such have experience with common illnesses, pairing, constructing and managing housing and of course handling (also having just moved I am going to resume a rescue role shortly) and have in the past bred them.

I am a member of the Cavy Club website.

None relavent to this topic.

I do not possess any credentials in this area other than charitable work, but I have worked with what must be hundreds of guinea pigs in the past and as such have learned a lot about the little blighters!

None relavent to this topic.