Guinea Pigs/New Guinea Pigs...help!

Question
My husband and I recently got two guinea pigs (2 months or so ago). They were both 6 weeks old when we got them, although we got Axel first, and Dakota three weeks later, they are both males. They do great together and have a huge cage, a proper diet, lots of toys and treats, and tons of love. We try to get them out twice or more a day to play with them, however, they bite us...alot. They hate when we take them out of the cage, or separate them from each other for too long. They cry and squeak loudly when we try to pet, hold, or handle them in any way. We put alot of time and effort into trying to gain their trust, but it seems like nothing we do is working. Please help us because we really want our relationship with our piggies to be a good one. We always try to be very gentle and understanding when they don't want to be handled, but its time to get some expert advice on how to properly gain their trust. Thank you!

Answer
this is going to be tricky for you, but doable, first and foremost repitition is key the more often and frequently you mix with your piggies the better they will get. yu may have to start weaning them onto you so's to speak, bringing the cage into the living room when you're in for example will help, dont bother trying to play with them for the first week or so, just let them get used to being in that enviroment with you but in there safe zone (cage), then i the second week try and set up a play area when they are in the living room, ideally you want a penned enclosure with their cage door opening out into it, for this week let them play around in there all they want, then it starts to get tricky, the third week if possible try and have yourself in there, perhaps just have your feet in the pen while you are actually sat of the sofa, once they start sniffing you try and pet them, dont pick them up just pet, offer them a little treat as well. once this has become common place to pet them on the ground try picking them up and fussing them on your lap. if at any stage in the lap of ground fussing they try and nip you stop and where possible tap them on the nose, this lets the pig know that you dont approve of what they have done and simulates a "nip" from another pig.

really this is the most info you cna be given, from here its a case of finding your own rythem with your pigs which you will eventually.

best of luck

Guinea Pigs

Sam Amison