Guinea Pigs/Sudden Guinea Pig Death

Question
Hello, Seven days ago my friend adopted a baby female guinea pig from Petsmart. Sadly, Today she passed away. Suddenly, She was very limp and wasn't moving at all. My friend immediately took her to the vet, But on the way she had small convulsions, Frothed at the mouth and died. My friend took excellent care of her guinea pig and did everything she was supposed to do. So please, If you have any idea what could have happened, Let me know. It would be very much appreciated!

Answer
I wish I had an answer for you. Unfortunately we've all had this happen in our caviaries and never a clue as to why. Petsmart usually gives a two week 'warranty' on their animals, so you might have your friend check with them.

If this were a very young baby it may have caught some kind of virus in the transport process from the wholesaler to the store. In cases like that there is nothing you can do, it just happens. Same thing with puppies and kittens. They can die for no apparent reason.

By the time they show signs of illness they are usually too far gone to help. No amount of medication or care can reverse it.

Your friend did nothing wrong. It was just bad luck. I would go to the store and ask the manager for a replacement.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen