Guinea Pigs/ear bleeding

hi, i have to guinea pigs (nibble and buttercup) and recently, nibbles ear began to bleed. its like a bald spot on the ear next to where its bleeding.we bought him on Saturday and are still able to take him back. should we or is this a common problem?

All guinea pigs have a bald spot behind each ear. I always tell people (especially kids who are getting their first pig) that God put it there because it's a perfect place to kiss when you're holding your pig up near your neck.

Now for the blood issue, if the inside of the ear is not bleeding I don't think it's anything other than possibly a scratch from a sharp toenail. Their nails need to be trimmed about once a month or so to keep them from being so sharp. If that blood is from behind the ear it's more than likely that he scratched himself. If you just introduced Nibbles to the cage it could also be that Buttercup took a bite out of him.

If Buttercup is a girl and Nibbles got fresh with her she could very well have put him in his place with a nip. The ears are very delicate and would bleed easily if bitten.

Is it possible you could attach a picture for me to see. That would give a little better view of whether this is a bite or a scratch. In any event I don't think you need to return him.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.