Guinea Pigs/guinea pig suffered stroke not able to chew after

Good morning,
My neighbors guinea pig (5 years old) suffered a stroke some days ago, but recovered. The vet checked her, also her mouth and teeth, and gave her some medication. But she still is not able to chew her food. Somehow she does not know what to do. She does swallow from a syringe, looks good, is running around and makes her noises.
My neighbor had guinea pigs all her life, so is very familiar with problems. But we, including the vet, have no idea what to do next.
Are you able to help?

my first instinct answer was a problem with her teeth, but a vet and guinea pig vetren would have spotted that.

honestly im at a loss at what to do, you could try perhaps something like mushy peas that the pig will probably be able to try and eat herself, leaving it in a bowl for her and see if she can re-teach herself, but honestly thats about the only thing i can think of and that would be more an experiment rather than treatment.

all the best

Guinea Pigs

Sam Amison

I can answer most questions on breeding rearing and housing, though I would like to stress now that unless someone is wishing to keep all the offspring produced I do not support breeding. I have reasonable experience with illnesses and can offer a few remedies. I have a high level of knowledge on handling, social habits, herding and dietry requirements, as well as being able to deliver a crash course in their natural habitat if people wish to know.

I have owned guinea pigs for several years and was formerly a fosterer for a rescue home and as such have experience with common illnesses, pairing, constructing and managing housing and of course handling (also having just moved I am going to resume a rescue role shortly) and have in the past bred them.

I am a member of the Cavy Club website.

None relavent to this topic.

I do not possess any credentials in this area other than charitable work, but I have worked with what must be hundreds of guinea pigs in the past and as such have learned a lot about the little blighters!

None relavent to this topic.