Guinea Pigs/bladder stone

Question
My cavy is 7 years old.  From all I've read online, I'm assuming she has a bladder stone.  Her urethral area is swollen and hard. She sometimes squeaks uncomfortably when she pees.  Her bottom is often wet.  She saw the vet about 6 weeks ago and has had two rounds of antibiotics. Spouse won't pay for further diagnostic tests. She seems generally happy and is eating well. I just don't want her to suffer.  How long can she continue like this? Could she just fade away gently, or will there inevitably be trauma and horrible pain for her?  It's hard to consider euthanizing her now when she seems in good spirits.

Answer
As long as she's not showing you she's in pain you can feel comfortable that she's okay. 7 years old is a very old pig, so you can be proud that you've been such a good mom to her for so long.

As far as diagnostic tests I have to agree with spouse. Regardless of what you find, at her age it isn't fair to try to put her through treatment she may not be able to survive.  She will let you know when her time comes, and you will know in your heart that it's the right thing to do.  Until then just continue loving her and being thankful you've had her for so many years.

As far as how long she can continue or will she suffer, I can't answer that. But again, you will know when the time is right to say goodbye.  Or she might simply just gently sleep away some night and then you can rest easy knowing she went peacefully.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen