Guinea Pigs/is my guinea pig pregnant

I bought a guinea pig and relised that she's fat she eats and drinks alot. My friend's think she's pregnant and I think she's may be right there are no sign's of babies she's like a eggplant shape though is she pregnant?

ANSWER: eggshape tends to be a pretty clear sign, feed her alfalfa hay and get ready for babies. im afraid you'll haveno way of knowing when they are due until they arrive

my piggie
my piggie  
QUESTION: I forgot to ask what are the risks of her surviving the delivry shes a adult high risk or low? i'm scared I might lose her

a female past a year of age is at a significenlty higher risk. generally the ideal age is considered to be between 5-8 months. if i remember correctly complication occur in around 20-25% of cases.

there is little you can do to safeguard other than keep her healthy and have a guinea pig savy vet on hand if needs be.

all the best and good luck

Guinea Pigs

Sam Amison

I can answer most questions on breeding rearing and housing, though I would like to stress now that unless someone is wishing to keep all the offspring produced I do not support breeding. I have reasonable experience with illnesses and can offer a few remedies. I have a high level of knowledge on handling, social habits, herding and dietry requirements, as well as being able to deliver a crash course in their natural habitat if people wish to know.

I have owned guinea pigs for several years and was formerly a fosterer for a rescue home and as such have experience with common illnesses, pairing, constructing and managing housing and of course handling (also having just moved I am going to resume a rescue role shortly) and have in the past bred them.

I am a member of the Cavy Club website.

None relavent to this topic.

I do not possess any credentials in this area other than charitable work, but I have worked with what must be hundreds of guinea pigs in the past and as such have learned a lot about the little blighters!

None relavent to this topic.