Guinea Pigs/my guinea pig stopped eating

Hi, I'm a little bit worried.. My guinea pig is still a little young about 2-3 months old. She used too eat all her food(carrots,apples and cucumber) that I gave her. But the past two days she's been eating less or she won't eat at all and she won't even eat when I try to hand fed her.She nibbles on it but won't take a bite. I tried looking at her teeth,but I don't know if there's something wrong with them it kind of looked like if there's something black on her teeth. It doesn't look like she's in pain but she keeps on making her 'hungry noise' but she won't eat if I give her food? Should I be worried or is this normal?

Yes I would be a bit worried too. I don't know what might be on her teeth, but they should be white. Is it possible she got into something and ate it, something that might have stuck to her teeth?

Sometimes there is a problem with the back teeth being out of alignment, causing the pig to be unable to grind her food so she can swallow it. Animals don't chew with the front teeth. They are like humans in that they have incisors that cut the teeth and the back teeth are for grinding up food to enable us to swallow it.

If she's drinking that's a good sign. Carefully pay attention to how much you've put in her cage so that you know whether or not she's actually eating anything. Lettuce is easy to chew and also provides fluid to help keep her hydrated. She may just be off her feed for a day or two, but within three days she should be eating enough that you can tell she's getting food.

It sounds to me that she may have a dental issue that makes it difficult or painful for her to chew or bite. If you have a veterinarian you might take her to him to see what is going on with the back teeth.  They're almost impossible for you to see by just opening her mouth as the cheeks fall inward and cover the back teeth when the mouth is open. A vet would be able to get a good view.  I think that would be the safest thing for you to do for her.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.