Guinea Pigs/Convincing Mom For a Guinea Pig.

How do i convince my mom that i can get a guinea pig?I have been doing a TON of research but she says she does not know so please give me some ideas. Thanks

Convincing your mom is going to be a serious effort. As a mother I can tell you that the first thing you have to do is convince her that you're responsible enough to own a pet. In most cases when a mom is reluctant it's because of a previous track record. We know that sooner or later (and it's usually sooner) we, the mother will have to take over.  So you have a job to do to convince her you're able to do the job.

It has nothing to do with age, it has to do with commitment and responsibility. I know I'm hammering that word at you but that's what the issue is.

Having a guinea pig is a four to five year commitment. Your mother should not have to worry about that pet. It's YOUR responsibility.  You need to show her you're up for it.

I find that making a written contract between you and mom works, but it means you're signing and agreeing that at no time does mom have to water, feed or clean up after your pet. If she's reluctant it may be that she already has to clean up your room, put away your laundry and do your dishes. That is NOT responsibility.  

If you break your part of the contract you have given mom a promise in writing that she can give or sell your pet to someone else without your consent. And she should. There should be no reason, other than health or illness, that would cause her to have to do what you should be doing.

I'm sure this sounds a little harsh to you, but I've given away many pigs over the years and when I do I always make the new owner sign a written agreement that they and they alone will be responsible for the pig. If at any time mom has to tell them to feed, water or clean the cage the animal comes back to me, no questions.

Somehow that written promise takes on a stronger sense of responsibility and removes any argument for the consequences of not caring for your pig.  If you already have issues with your mom having to tell you to clean your room, put away your laundry or do the dishes she's not likely to give in easily, and for good reason.

There you have it. You know what you need to do. Please have mom read this response and the two of you discuss it.

Good luck to you and please keep me posted as to whether or not you've come to an agreement.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.