Hi San,
Well, I feel like a dummy because last night I forgot to bring my 2 female guinea pigs inside. I am really worried because the night time low was 12 celsius for 3 hours and they didn't have anything to cover the cage to keep the air out. If that was enough for them to get upper respiratory infections and if so, what can I do to stop it from happening? I am so worried about my piggies.

12 c is not that cold, not really, guinea pigs suffer more from heat rather than cold, so long as they had shelter, it was dry and they had hey to snuggle up in then they will be fine.

uri's tend to happen when pigs are kept in damp, dusty enviroments or strongly scented hay/sawdust.

many of the rescues i have live outside in hutches when it is minus ten celcius and all they have is hay, a snug box and a breathable cover over the mesh to stop snow and rain blowing in and they do fine.
im sure your guinea pigs wil be fine

all the best

Guinea Pigs

Sam Amison

I can answer most questions on breeding rearing and housing, though I would like to stress now that unless someone is wishing to keep all the offspring produced I do not support breeding. I have reasonable experience with illnesses and can offer a few remedies. I have a high level of knowledge on handling, social habits, herding and dietry requirements, as well as being able to deliver a crash course in their natural habitat if people wish to know.

I have owned guinea pigs for several years and was formerly a fosterer for a rescue home and as such have experience with common illnesses, pairing, constructing and managing housing and of course handling (also having just moved I am going to resume a rescue role shortly) and have in the past bred them.

I am a member of the Cavy Club website.

None relavent to this topic.

I do not possess any credentials in this area other than charitable work, but I have worked with what must be hundreds of guinea pigs in the past and as such have learned a lot about the little blighters!

None relavent to this topic.