Guinea Pigs/Baby Guinea pig

Question
I got my first guinea pig today. I didn't notice at the time, but one eye is larger than the other. (I am not willing to take him back) I'm already very fond of him. but I am concerned that this will lead to eye problems in the future. Thank you for your time

Answer
There is no reason to return your pig or to worry that it has a birth defect that might affect his health.  

When we breed as exhibitors the goal is to produce a winner on the show table. Whether it's dogs, cats, horses, etc. that's our goal. Good breeders don't just breed for profit, such a puppy mills do.  Not every animal in the litter is a show quality prospect. The babies that don't make the criteria are sold.

That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the animal, it just means it wasn't selected as a 'keeper'.  Having one eye smaller than the other is not a health defect, it's simply a disqualification on a show table and there is a potential that this trait could be passed on to it's young.

We often keep babies who may not have the markings or coloring we're striving for, but knowing the genetic background we may keep those for breeding purposes because we feel it has the potential to produce a winning animal.

There's no reason this kind of thing should have anything to do with further health issues.  He will still make a wonderful pet.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen