Guinea Pigs/Guinea pig is pregnant

i think my Guinea pig is pregnant and i have no idea how old she is i have had her 6 months but she had a previous owner and i don't know how long they had her  i had gotten her a companion and was told it was a female and it was a male i called my vet and she said that she still should be able to deliver but i am still worried so my question how old do you think my guinea pig is?

Unfortunately I can't tell you how old she is.  She's obviously an adult pig, but that only means she's reached full size. But before you stress about whether or not she's able to deliver let me try to reassure you just a bit.

Typically we use 1 year of age as the general goal when it comes to breeding a pig for the first time. That means we prefer them to become pregnant by the time they've reached their first birthday.  That's just a generalization and doesn't mean that any harm will come to her if she's bred after that time.

You will hear or read that people say, "The pelvic bones fuse after a year old if they haven't already been bred."  That's not true.  The pelvic bones don't touch one another. They are separated by a small space, just as human females pelvic bones are. During delivery those bones begin to spread apart because of the ligaments that are attached to the bone and the muscles. This is so the babies can pass through that otherwise narrow opening.

As the sow ages those ligaments will begin to lose their elasticity if she has not had a litter. We don't really know at what age this happens, so to be on the safe side we try to have the sow bred by the first birthday. However, there are some pigs that are over two and still able to deliver a first litter.

At this point there is nothing you can do. If she's pregnant you cannot change that. So don't fret and worry about something that may not happen at all. In all probability she will have her litter without difficulty.

Most sows become infertile by four years of age, so you know that she's younger than that. Chances are good she isn't over two years old. So just sit back and keep your camera ready. If babies are coming she will handle it. The normal gestation is 70 days.  You can usually feel movement about 2 1/2 weeks prior to delivery. So right now it's just a waiting game.  Please keep me posted as to how things go.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.