Guinea Pigs/guinea pig water

Question
Hello, earlier I asked you about my guinea pig's hairloss problem and the question about bladder stones. You told me about the alkalinity in water. The thing is we have 2 guinea pigs, in 2 separate cages and we use water from the kitchen faucet. I would like to ask if it is okay to use water from the fridge, as we have filtered water with the ice/water dispenser. Would that be fine to give them for water? It's just as if you are drinking the filtered water with those filter devices you put on faucets.

Thanks.

Answer
No,the water from the fridge although filtered is not distilled and pure. You can safely use either the faucet or the fridge water for your pig that isn't having problems. But I'd recommend you not use that for the pig that you think has stones.

The filters in the refrigerator filters out chlorine and only a little calcium. I have the same thing on my refrigerator. The problem is that the recommendation by the manufacturer is to replace that filter every couple of months. I'm not good at remembering to do so, plus the fact that the filter is nearly $40.   

The safest thing for you to do is just buy distilled water. It's cheap and easy to get at your grocery store.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen