Guinea Pigs/guinea pig feces

QUESTION: my male guinea pig seems to be pooping out of its penis it seems like there might be a build up on his anus and I'm not sure what to do. I read something about trying to feel if there is a blockage but it can find anything that helps. what should i do to make him poop out of his anus again like normal?

flushing out the pouch
flushing out the pouch  
ANSWER: I guarantee you he's not pooping from his penis. Anatomically that's not possible. What he probably does have is a backup of stool in the pouch that is right underneath the penis. The rectal opening is right there in the pouch.

As boars age they often lose some of the muscle strength to push the stool clear out. If it's very warm it also softens and builds up in the pouch. There's a very simply and easy way to deal with it.

Here are a couple of pictures of an older boar of mine that needed to have his pouch flushed out about once a week. Don't try to use a Q tip to dig the stool out. You might injure that tender and delicate tissue. I have a utility sink that I use for this purpose as well as to bathe the pigs in. The water doesn't have to be on full force but with enough pressure that it gets into the pouch and the pile up of poo flushes right out.

You can usually feel on both sides of the pouch that it is full of stool. When you pinch it a little bit the stool starts moving out. This is a common issue with boars especially as they age but is often weather related.

I would try flushing out his pouch to clear it of leftover stool. It's not difficult and I'm sure you could do this.

QUESTION: thank you! you helped a lot because i was getting very anxious! Is there an obvious way to find if or should I just look it up? is this a very common thing that happen and finally you said this usually happens to older guinea pigs, because mine is not even a year old yet is that normal and OK?

It's more common in older boars but certainly happens in younger adult boars as well. I'm not sure what you mean by 'finding it' but if you're talking about the pouch all you have to do is turn him over and you will clearly see the soft stool between the testicles.

As you can tell by my boar they don't mind it at all. The secret is to make sure they feel you have a comfortable grip and they don't fear falling. Allow the water to just run right into that area and you'll be surprised how fast the stool comes out.

If you need to you can spread the area apart a bit so you can get a better visual as to what you're going to flush. You're not going to hurt him, so don't fear that you might.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.