Guinea Pigs/guinea pigs

We have had Adora since she was 5wks old. She was very sick. We took her to the vet she was given criticial care food thru a syringe. She is 3 mths old now. We bought her a friend about 1 mth ago named Hope who is about 2-3 mths old. They got along great. Yesterday we bought a 4 mth old female named Flower. Adora is very mean to her. She wont let her in the igloo and is chattering her teeth and making her body swell up. Adora is usually scared of everything, now shes being mean. How can we get her to stop being mean to Flower!!!!

Adora is going through a natural instinct of protecting her territory from what she feels is an invader. Adora is the 'alpha pig'. She's been the boss of the cage and Hope has been willing to accept Adora's authority.

Adding Flower to the group has upset the balance in the home and Adora is letting her know it.  If your cage is big enough get another igloo so there is a choice. Unless there's any biting and bloodshed Adora should get over it as soon as Flower indicates that she's willing to bow to Adora.

It's a lot like girlfriends. When there are two girls they get along. Add a third girl and we females feel the need to stir things up. Boys don't behave that way, but there's something about female hormones that seem to cause jealousy and bad manners. There's an old saying, "Two's company and three is a crowd."

I don't know what kind of cage setup you have, but if you have a c & c type you have the ability to add more room. It's all about space. You need to make sure Flower has a place to go to get away from Adora if she wishes.

Adora's body language, the puffing up and chattering teeth, is serious threatening that if Flower doesn't stay out of her way she will try to hurt her. Usually a few days to a week and things settle down. Adora is just making sure that Flower knows who is the queen and who sets the house rules.

Once Flower shows that she's willing to give in Adora will behave and they'll get along. You may see Adora chase Flower into a corner and Flower will stay there until Adora says she can come out.  This is normal behavior for sows. There's always a boss who maintains control.

Be patient and things will settle down.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.