Guinea Pigs/pregnant guinea pig

Question
Hi my guinea pig is anywhere from 66 to 70 days pregnant she is very big and she has been getting pig on her belly where she is so big when will she have them, they don't move much anymore since she has got so big

Answer
Litter of ten
Litter of ten  

mom with four
mom with four  
The typical gestation is 70 days. It's usually pretty hard to know the exact date of conception. The sow comes into heat every two or so weeks and is only fertile for a few hours of that time. So it's always a guess as to the precise date and time.

Size isn't always an indicator of when and how many babies are there just as with humans you can't predict the size of the baby by the size of the mother's belly. It sounds like your mamma is very very close, but don't be fooled by the ability of the babies not to have enough room.

It's very common for them to be more quiet and still right for a couple of days before delivery. Mother nature is a remarkable thing. The pig will know exactly what to do and when to do it. When the babies come do not be tempted to help her. Leave her alone. She won't nurse them until she has completely emptied out the uterine contents. This can be as long as twelve hours before she nurses the pups, but they instinctively stay put until mom says it's time.

Here are two pictures that are good examples of not being able to tell how many babies are inside by the look of the outside. The white pig is one of mine and she was enormous prior to delivery. She had only four babies.

The other was just normal size and gave birth to ten. I don't know if this was a record but it has to be close. The average litter size is two to four. It's also very common to have at least one stillborn in a litter. These ten babies all survived.

If there is a runt she will not make any exceptions for the weak baby. In the wild a mother will not risk the safety of the remaining healthy babies to try to save a weak one. All her effort will go to the healthy babies. This goes for any species. That's why animals in the wild are always healthy and strong. If they are not they're soon taken by predators. It's the law of nature and one that we shouldn't try to alter or interfere with.

That's a hard concept for many people as our human nature makes us want to save everything. But if an animal is to live a healthy life they must be born that way.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen