Guinea Pigs/guinea pig wont eat

Question
My usually active Piggie has stopped eating...he's almost 4, usually eats all day off and on...but now hasn't eaten in a couple of days, bairly drinks, won't take a treat, and hasn't gone to the bathroom, and has a rapaid breathing pattern now...and won't come out of his house...still responds when I call him but won't really move...I hear him being restless in his house but that's about it...are we losing our little guy?...I can't afford a vet...any advise would be appreciated.. thank you

Answer
I'm so sorry you're having to go through this, and moreover I must confess I hate having to answer this type of question, not because I'm uncomfortable answering but because there isn't good news to give you.

Four is not a really old pig, but just as in humans some age much faster than others. The average life span is only about 5 years.  There are the rare cases where a pig has lived for 7 or 8 years, but that is not the norm. The first sign of problems is loss of appetite and refusal to drink. In all probability by the time you read this he will have already gone.

Even a vet could have no impact or change the inevitable in a situation such as this. Once they stop eating and drinking their kidneys and liver rapidly go into failure. He hasn't passed any stool because his gut is empty.

This isn't anything that you could have had any effect on. It's simply the way nature is. Animals for the most part know when their time has come, and for your little guy his time is now. I'm so sorry I couldn't say something that would make you feel better, but I would be doing you and him a disservice to try to make it sound like there's something you can do.

If you want to bury him the best way is to put him in the ground without any wrapping, plastic bag, etc. That way the body doesn't rot, it decomposes naturally. I've laid many of mine to rest over the years and have some rose bushes that are planted around them. That way you have a living memory to keep.

Again I am sorry I cannot give you more positive news.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen