Guinea Pigs/Guinea Pig 911

My daughter dropped her guinea pig from our kitchen table (I think he got scared and started kicking) hes not wanting to use his back legs and has white thick like mucus coming from his private parts it almost looks like a mucus plug...I'm worried we are going to have to put him down :( please help!!

He could have one of two injuries: the first being just soft tissue injury that may heal on its own. The worse case scenario is a spinal injury which could leave him paralyzed. That does not mean he needs to be put down.  I wouldn't handle him anymore for a couple of weeks and see if it doesn't resolve on its own.

As for the mucus plug that sounds much like semen. A sudden fall resulting in blunt trauma could have caused an involuntary ejaculation.  Guinea pig semen is typically very thick and dries almost like hot glue. It's not unusual for something like that to happen, much as fear can cause an involuntary loss of urine.

Just leave him to rest. Make sure he's able to reach his water and food. Offer him lettuce to keep him hydrated, and hopefully this will resolve. Even if it does not that isn't a death sentence. He can learn to live with a disability.

You don't say how old your daughter is, but she's not the first child to have this happen. Perhaps having her sit on the floor to hold her pig in her lap might help prevent any future issues. I'm sure this frightened her as much as it did the pig.

For children under 8 I recommend they wrap their pig in a towel or blanket to help keep them from scratching the child and it also helps keep the pig calm. I'm sure you've already thought of this, so please don't think I'm in any way chastising you.  Accidents unfortunately happen to all of us.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.