Guinea Pigs/Guinea Pig Allergies...

Question
Ok...I'm very allergic to the saliva of dogs. Really dogs in general. As my family has similar allergies and are also effected by cats and horses, I assume that they are off-limits. One of my family members happens to be allergic to Guinea Pigs, however I'm slightly reluctant to believe that I've also inherited this curse. I'm visiting an allergist soon and I was simply wondering if even with slight allergies, if there was a Guinea Pig friendlier to allergies, in general.

Answer
Unfortunately people who are allergic to dogs and cats are often also allergic to guinea pigs.  Typically it's the dander on these animals that causes the problem, and for those suffering allergies it can be anywhere from irritating to serious.

There is a breed of guinea pig that is hairless.  It's called a Baldwin, and just incidentally this breed was developed in the 1980's by someone I knew fairly well.  Now you can find the breed all over the country.

Having said that I must also tell you that people allergic to guinea pigs may also have the same problems with the hairless varieties, as the dander is on the skin of the pig. It's difficult to find a way around the issue, but if you're wanting to try to get around it you may try wearing gloves when you touch the animal.  This is a long shot and in all probability, depending on the severity of your allergies, may not work.

It's something you might discuss with the allergist and see if there are immunity shots for cavies, aka guinea pigs, that would be effective. My experience has been that people who have cross allergies, such as both dogs and cats, horses, etc. have very little chance of avoiding an attack other than avoiding the triggers i.e. the animals.

Best of luck to you.  I hope you are able to find a compromise to the problem.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen