Guinea Pigs/My hampster Mia plz I'm begging help her

Mia her arm under belly
Mia her arm under bell  
My baby girl hampster Mia has broken her arm wrist hand area and cannot walk on it and when she tries she draggs it under her hurting it further we at the moment took all stuff out of her cage and except food and water of course she has plenty of that and soft bedding I read before to keep her in there and just let her rest and heal my question is is there a natural remedy or anything I can do to take her pain away or make her content comfy anything I hate to see her this way I've cried till I cannot cry anymore I feel sorry for her I noticed as time goes by now in the fifth day she is trying to use it more I want to take her pain away and let her heal and not hurt if you have any advice or can refer me somewhere I and her will greatly appreciate you plz she is do tiny and can't fend for herself it's sad I want my happy lil hammy back..

I'm afraid my expertise is guinea pigs, not hamsters. However, an animal with a broken bone is pretty much the same anywhere.  So I will do my best to try to help.

As for natural remedies for pain medication I don't believe there are any. Because a hamster is so small it's difficult to determine the strength or quantity of any medication. And the correct dose is critical, especially in a small animal. Sometimes the best medicine is the least medicine.

The best thing to do it leave her alone. Keep her bedding soft as you are already doing. Animals are not like humans in that they won't try to do what they know they shouldn't.  She will rest until she feels able to put weight on the leg.

In the meantime it's a sit and wait game for you. The bone will heal, although it may not heal in the correct position, depending on what kind of break it is. But animals learn to deal with disabilities and not feel sorry for themselves.

Give her time, she will be okay. Just keep her food and water where she can reach it and keep her bedding clean so she has a clean place to rest when she needs to. Animals heal much faster than humans, probably because they don't take time to worry about it. They just take what life has given them, good or bad, and deal with it.

I hope that helps you a bit.  Please let me know how she's doing.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.