Guinea Pigs/allergy, hay

Question
Happy Holidays, Pat!

I use a 9lb box of oxbow hay always for our guinea pigs.. this time yet I am allergic to the same product.. can't seem to get near the hay without allergy reaction.

I am just wondering if you'd have any tips for me.

Thanks,
Jill

Answer
There's a few ways to deal with that.

1. Get a mask from the drugstore. Most people react to the pollen and dust that comes with the hay, and even though Oxbow is 'cleaned' it still has some residual pollen. That way you won't be breathing it in.  Make sure you're wearing gloves when you take the mask off.

2. Rubber gloves. Buy an inexpensive box of gloves, usually available at a hardware store cheaper than at your drugstore. If you have an old oversized shirt you can put it over your clothes when you lift the hay.  The idea is to keep it off your clothing as well.

3. If you are able to take an antihistamine like Claritin or its generic equivalent you can take on about 30 minutes before you pass out the hay. I am assuming of course that your reaction is a respiratory one, sneezing, watery eyes, etc. Hopefully that will help ward off the effects.

If all that fails you may have to resort to having someone else handle the hay for you.  But let's keep our fingers crossed that this works. Good Luck to you. Please let me know if you get some relief from these suggestions.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen