Guinea Pigs/guinea pig

Question
QUESTION: my guinea pig is pregnant she is due today it will be 10 weeks she looks like she is having contractions and you can see the babies move and feel them and they move alot i cant tell if her pelvic bone is seperated but she also moves likes she is going to have them plus she eats and drinks alot and the babies feel like they have moved down closer when do you think she is going to have them

ANSWER: It's hard to determine the exact date of delivery, but one thing is for sure. She will have them when it's time and not before.

The pelvic ligaments begin to loosen and separate about48 hours prior to delivery. If you've not had an opportunity to examine them before it may be a little difficult. If you put your hand on her back, leaving her standing on all fours, just calmly move you index or second finger down her backside until you feel the 'vent' which is the same as a female vagina. Very softly press and you will feel two bones. They are the pelvic bones that will be spread apart by the ligaments, to allow for the passing of the babies.

They are usually almost touching and are apart about 1/8th of an inch. They will gradually spread to about 1/2 inch apart. At that point you can almost get your finger between them. Be careful and don't try to spread them. When delivery is close these bones are easily moved.

In most cases the sow delivers during the very early morning hours when it's quiet and peaceful. I've found that typically the babies are more still right before delivery, so you may not feel them move. I would expect you will probably wake up one morning soon and there will be little extra eyes looking at you.

Do not try to intervene when she is delivering. The mother will not allow the babies to nurse until she has completely emptied her uterus of all the babies and afterbirth. I've had moms go as long as 12 hours before they nursed the pups. Resist the urge to try to bottle feed them. When will happen is the babies will aspirate milk into their lungs and die.

Guinea pigs are wonderful mothers and know what to do. Just leave her alone until she has finished her job. Once the babies are dry you can handle them. She will not mind. They are born fully furred and with a full set of teeth. Their eyes are open and they are ready to run.

The typical litter is two to three pups. A single birth is not uncommon. It's also not uncommon for there to be one stillborn pup. So don't be stressed. If there is a runt the mother will not make any special attempt to help it. This is nature's way of making sure only the fittest survive. She will not risk the well being of the litter to save a sickly or weak baby.

Be sure when you hold them you have both hands on the baby. They are fast and will jump right out of your arms.

I hope this helps you. Please keep your camera ready, I would love to see pictures of the litter when they are born. Having guinea pig babies is a thrilling experience. It's watching a miracle in the making. So enjoy them. They grow very quickly.

If the father is in with her you need to take him out now. She will come into heat within a couple of hours and he will breed her back.  Don't let that happen.  She needs all her strength to raise the new litter.

I will look forward to seeing the babies. What a wonderful Christmas present that will be.

QUESTION: thank you and i will send pics when she has them :)

ANSWER: I will be looking forward to the new arrivals.

QUESTION: hi again she still hasnt had them i am a little worried she acts like she is how can you tell if she is in labor and if she is stressed will she not deliver or will she just hold back and she will look like she has a baby right by her vagina does that mean something

thank you for your wonderful service you guys are great i hope you will answer soon and have a

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Answer
The babies are shifting into position like little soldiers lining up. When she starts labor it typically happens fairly quickly. She will hunch up like she's going to poo and she will push down.

She will not lie down to deliver like other animals do. She will stand up, push the babies out then reach down and pull them out completely. The best thing to do is leave her alone and give her privacy. She knows what to do and she will take care of it.

I know how nerve racking it can be waiting for the big moment. Sometimes you're lucky enough to see it happen, but most of the time they deliver when it's quiet and they're alone.

Patience darling, she will surprise you.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen