Guinea Pigs/Is my guinea pig pregnant

Photo 2
Photo 2  

I am fostering a guinea pig from my local shelter and then I am adopting it. It was found in a skate park and they don't know whether it's pregnant or not. I have attached some photos and I would like I see what other people think of if it is or not. There is a website and attached photos. These photos were taken about 2 weeks ago and she is a bit bigger now.

The second photo does appear to be a sign of pregnancy. Since they are pregnant for approx. 10 weeks, if she is indeed carrying babies she is not too far along. One of the signs to look for early on is an increased intake of water.

Since she is a new member of your household you may not be familiar with her eating and drinking habits and not be able to tell for sure. Certainly if she is pregnant she will continue to grow larger. You don't always feel movement until the babies are about two to three weeks from delivery.

If she was in a state park she may have been taken there by her owner and she inadvertently sipped away. I would hope someone wouldn't just turn her loose because they didn't want her, but we'll never know. These little animals who've been raised in captivity can't just be turned loose to live on their own. They are quickly victims of predation by anything from dogs to birds of prey.

Whatever the case may be you should be thanked for saving her. You will have many hours of joy and she will be a good companion for you.  

If and when she delivers please send pictures to me. I still love seeing new litters, no matter how many hundreds I've seen and raised. They are a blessing, each and every one.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.