Guinea Pigs/skin under chin /chest

Question
noticed large lump not hard under chin / chest area took to local vet not cavy savvy! she does not think its an abcess because its not
hard. she also says it doesnt feel like its attached so not cancer I think thats what she meant. feels to me like soft playdoh.its quite loose  hangs between legs, He is drinking and eating but not his normal self. Dont think its dewlap his fur is starting to go where its rubbing of floor. any ideas please

Answer
It sounds like a typical subglottal cyst, aka abscess. They are fairly common in guinea pigs. If it were a cancer it would not feel like a soft playdough mass.

If left alone it will burst on its own. The other option is to have it lanced so it can begin draining. They types of cysts must be kept open so they will heal from the inside out. Otherwise they will close up and the pus will continue to develop.

It's most commonly caused by staph, which we all carry on our skin all the time. When conditions are just right and we get a small break in the skin the staph gets out of control and an abscess develops. When the abscess is opened it is a foul smelling, yellow colored pus that is inside.

Once it breaks that opening needs to be irrigated daily using a syringe without a needle. You can also get a syringe for giving babies medication at your drug store. You will need to get some Betadine solution, also available at the drug store. Mix about a tablespoon in a cup of water, do not use it straight. Suck up the solution in they syringe and put the tip of the syringe into the hole, squirt the Betadine/water mixture right into the wound.

Do this twice daily. It helps to flush out the pus that is trying to keep going and it cleanses the inside of the wound. It will begin to heal from the inside. You will have to do this for about a week. Then it will close up and he will be fine.

These are common to guinea pigs, presumably because they get poo on their toenails then scratch under the chin causing a scratch that becomes infected. It's not usually a life threatening condition, but it does need attention.

You also want to wash the area with warm soapy water daily. Keep the area as clean as possible. Good luck to you. You should be able to take care of this yourself. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen