Guinea Pigs/Guineau pig has odd glue like substance jutting out from neck

QUESTION: Hi, my little girls guineapig has a small glue like substance that is sticking out of its neck. Luke is 1 1/2 years old and always been healthy and does all the normal cute stuff. Today my little girl noticed a sort of clear/ calcium  thing jutting from his neck. Firstly we thought it was food stuck to him or sawdust but this was not the case. The substance feels rubbery, glue like. It looks a bit like a flaked almond jutting out of his neck. He isn't distressed and appears to be eating normally . When I first inspected Luke I thought he had a mutant tooth growing under his chin. Do you have any idea what this May be? He lives in an indoor cage with his friend Ron  and they generally get on well with only the occasional spat. Luke doesn't appear to be losing weight and doesn't have any nasal discharge or problems with his eyes. Their cage was cleaned 2 days ago and we don't remember seeing this object then. Hope I have given enough info xx kim

ANSWER: I have a suspicion what it might be.  It would be easier if you could attach a picture. Is this attached to the skin or just the hair?

If it's attached only to the hair the most likely thing is that it is, are you ready, semen from the other pig. Once dried it is much like cold glue from a hot glue gun. Since there is another boar in the cage it may well me just that. Young boars aren't too selective about their advances to their roommates. They're much like teenage boys and will pretty much try at anything that's in the cage, male or female.

Most often we find this on the backside of a sow who wasn't willing to cooperate, but I've seen boars that got overzealous and did this to their male cage mates.

It's just a hormonal reaction, and if the victim tried to get away the shot lands wherever it may. If this is actually attached to his skin it may be a sebaceous cyst that is trying to break. Typically these sebaceous cysts will pop up on the back rather than on the neck. They are simply plugged up oil glands that could not secrete the sebaceous material that helps keep the skin soft and supple.

It would be so much easier to actually tell if you could send a picture. It's not impossible that a tooth begins to grow inwardly and pops out of the chin area or even the throat. But they are hard like a tooth, not rubbery.  So please do your best to take a photo. Don't try to get the camera too close to the area or it comes out blurry. Then maybe we can identify this foreign substance.

The fact that he is eating and drinking normally would indicate that it's not a tooth run amuck.   

Luke\'s thing
Luke's thing  
QUESTION: Hi here's a pic of Luke . His mouth is wet from us trying to wash off the thing.

I'm afraid that looks suspiciously like what I thought it might be, semen from his buddy. I once had someone ask me if guinea pigs could have homosexual tendencies. The answer is absolutely not. All animals are driven by hormones. I've had more than one occasions where I've had to remove this glue blob from another boar, and occasionally on a sow who's been introduced to a young boar who was inexperienced.

The only way to remove that blob is to cut it from the base of the hair. It sticks like glue, no pun intended. If you pull it the hair will come with it. It's pretty much cemented to it's landing place.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.