Guinea Pigs/overy calm new guinea pig

Question
We just got a new guinea pig and he is extremely calm. He doesnt run from us and just sits on our lap. There isnt any shaking or hiding. Is this normal? He has a little tiny bit of crust in his eye but other than that he looks fine. Should we worry?

Answer
If this is an older pig it's possible he was previously owned by a child. Kids tend to handle their pigs a lot, carrying them wherever they go resulting in a very calm and comfortable pet. On the judging table we often hear a judge remark that a pig must be owned by a kid, as they are always very quiet and calm because they're used to the human touch.

The tiny bit of crust may be nothing more than a bit of stress from being in a new environment. The best indicator of how a cavy feels is their appetite. If he is eating and drinking normally, he's fine.

The coat is also a good guide as to health. Just as with most animals if they're ill it is reflected in the coat. The shine is not there and the coat is rough. From your description it would appear that you got lucky and have a pig with a nice calm demeanor.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen