Guinea Pigs/Baby guinea pig closed eye

Question
Sick eye
Sick eye  
Hello Pat.

One of five recently born Guinea pigs have its left eye closed. He's only four days old and he wasn't born this way. He's lively, eager to try vegetables and runs after his mom a lot. I only discovered his eye tonight, I searched through forums and took him from the cage and washed the eye gently with lukewarm water with sage. There's no puss or crust yet, but when I tried to gently open the eyelids, they were stuck together and a black eye underneath was a bit milky. Have a look at the picture attached. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Answer
Congratulations on your litter Peter. Your baby is actually okay. This is a common thing in newborns and is usually because of some debris or dirt that he's gotten in the eye.  Use a soft cotton ball and just warm water, no sage. Hold the wet cotton on his eye for a minute or two. The goal is to soften the crust enough that you can gently pull those eyelids apart.

Yes the eyeball is milky, but it will return to normal. He may have stuck himself with some bedding or ? but it doesn't mean he has an infection. Small children often get this and we used to call it 'sleepy eye.'  It's just the crusties that build up during the night.

You won't hurt him by opening the eye. It will not bleed, it's just stuck with that crust. Once the eye is open I would gently wash it daily and within a few days it will return to normal. Don't touch the eyeball with the cotton, just run it over the lid to pick up any debris.

I've had babies that looked like they'd never see again, but lo and behold they heal remarkably well.

One of the old breeder tricks we use is to go to the pharmacy and buy some Vit A capsules. It must be the gel capsules. What you will do is poke a pin the one end of the capsule, or just clip it with scissors. Drop a couple of drops into the eye. The oil in the capsule is soothing to the eye and also helps keep the crust from forming again. You only have to do that for a couple of days. As I said, these little guys have a remarkable healing capacity.

Good luck and please let me know how he does.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen