Guinea Pigs/Guinea pig

Question
Hi!

My Guinea pig is about 5 yrs old and he has stopped eating veggies and he usually loves them!  It's been 2 days now.  Also, wse continue to squeeze out big lumps of poop from his behind. I know that is normal in older guinea pigs but wasn't sure if him not eating veggies is related to that or maybe his teeth are too long?

THanks for the help!

Kelly Buccino

Answer
Pouch impaction
Pouch impaction  

Flushing out the pouch
Flushing out the pouch  
We call this an impaction but that's not really an accurate clinical description of what is happening. With a true impaction stool cannot pass out of the intestines, causing a back up that eventually gets back into the stomach. This is a life threatening condition and is usually corrected surgically.

In guinea pigs it's not a true impaction. Just a buildup of stool that can't get completely out. It is not in the intestines at all, but rather is stuck in the little area known as the pouch.

This is a common thing with older boars and it has nothing to do with his veggies or his teeth. As they age the boars lose some of their muscle tone and are unable to push the buildup of stool out of the pouch that is located between the testicles. The stool builds up and because of their body heat the buildup stays warm and soft, making it even more difficult to move. As the pig passes more little poos it gets mushed up in that ball and the buildup continues.

It's an easy fix. What you'll need to do is flush out the pouch using warm running water. I've attached a couple of pictures for you so you can get an idea of what you're doing. The water needs to be running just hard enough that it can get behind the stool and into the pouch. It will flush out the wad of poo and usually causes it to break apart as the water hits it.

Do not try to use a Q tip or anything else to pry it out. Those tissues are delicate and you can hurt him. As boars age the scrotum tends to hang farther away from the body making it easier for stool to get stuck in there. Once you've got the pouch cleaned out you can put a drop or two of oil into the pouch to help keep the stool moving as he passes it. You can use baby oil, mineral oil or even vegetable oil. It doesn't take much.

You will probably have to do this weekly but once you've got it cleaned out it's much easier to keep it that way.

You can see by the pictures where this pouch is and usually the stool build up is easily visible. In longhaired pigs it's a bigger problem because it gets caught in the hair.

Hope this helps you correct the problem. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions. That's what I'm here for.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen