Guinea Pigs/Nibbling on ears

Question
QUESTION: Hello there,
I have 2 female guinea pigs.  They are approximately a little under 2 years old and are fairly large.  They seem to get along well.  I have not seen any fighting or heard any squealing.  This morning I was feeding them their vegetables when I noticed that one had a little notch taken out of its ear.  It isn't red or bleeding so I'm wondering if it has been there for a while without me noticing?  I was wondering if you would know anything about this or any possible remedies.  Maybe there is a product (like some sort of bitters) I can apply to its ear to discourage anything negative from happening.  
Thank you so much for your time and advice,
Maria Sebastian

ANSWER: Actually these kind of injuries are common. They're just cosmetic and there's no need to put anything on it. And yes, it's entirely possible it's been there for awhile and you just never noticed it.

QUESTION: Hello again,
I was wondering if you think this injury is from the other guinea pig? Also if I notice more of the same...what should I do to help this little girl out? Is it aggressive behavior? Any info or advice is greatly appreciated-my daughter was upset as she left for school this morning because of it. Thank you again!!!

Answer
It's definitely from the other pig. And yes, it is aggression but not the type you need to be so worried about that you want to separate the pigs. I do think however, that we need to be sure you have two females and not two boars. This is a frequent occurrence when someone acquires two pigs especially if you got them young and were told they were the same sex.

If you could would you take a picture of each of them by holding them upright and photographing their undersides? Don't put the camera too close or it will blur what we're trying to see.  About 18" is a perfect distance.  I can blow it up on my computer if I need to.

When someone buys two young pigs they very often look so much alike that an inexperienced person will not correctly sex them. Two young boars will get along just fine for about 1 1/2 to 2 years. Then the hormones begin to express themselves and they sometimes begin to fight. If that's the case here it is more serious than two females just being cranky when they come into heat. In the case of the males they will fight aggressively until one of both is seriously injured.

Females come into heat approximately every two to three weeks. They're only in heat for a couple of days and only receptive for breeding for a few hours. During that time they're testy and cranky just as we females are. The nipping at the ears is a common thing. Sometimes they will make a tear in the ear and sometimes it's a clear bite, leaving the ear looking as if someone took a hole punch to the end of the ear. If however, you start seeing signs of body injury then it's more serious and they'll need to be kept apart.

If you recently acquired these pigs there is yet another possibility, especially if you got them from a breeder. As breeders we tag the left ear for identification purposes. The number on the ear is put on their pedigrees so we can tell who is whom. On the show table they are identified by that number as well. Sometimes a pig will scratch themselves and get the tag caught in the rear toenail and pull it through causing a rip in the ear. Again, it heals just fine and is nothing but a cosmetic concern.

But before you start looking for another cage please let's determine what we're dealing with. By this age the scrotum is well developed and should be easily seen. Another way to tell is for you to hold them on your palm and run your forefinger and middle finger under the belly and down through the genitalia. If you feel the scrotum then you have the answer. But if you're unsure I will be happy to help.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen