Guinea Pigs/Is it possible to keep a single boar happy? Could I introduce a friend for him later?

Question
I've planned on getting a guinea pig for awhile (will be my 1st) and have been doing my share of research to be the best little piggy mommy I can. I knew that I would like to get a male but after learning that guinea pig should be housed in pairs I committed to the idea of getting two boars and researched their needs. I read that males need more cage space (not a problem for me) but I also read that during their 'teenage' years they may begin to fight and that may result in them having to live in separate cages (because of injuries) but them I read that the chances of them getting along is better with a older boar & a younger boar. I was wondering if it'd be okay to just get the single boar and once he's older try to introduce a younger boar as a friend? How do I keep him from feeling lonely as a single piggy(will I and my brother spending most of the day with him be enough)?

Thank you so much for taking your time to answer my question. I'd just like to do what's best for the guinea pigs and avoid any serious fights between the boys.

Answer
Congratulations on your decision to bring a guinea pig into your life. It will change you forever and you'll quickly learn that what some people think are just rodents are the most cuddly, loving and enjoyable pets there are. They are easy keepers that give back to much.

Although it's true that these are herding animals and like living in herds it is absolutely possible that they can be happy by themselves. If you have an older boar and later want to get a baby as a companion for him he won't have a problem with the youngster. The issue with boars is that all too often once they reach their sexual maturity they're driven by hormones rather than good sense. I suppose that could be compared to young human men as well.

If this is a pet you will spend as much time as possible holding him, loving him and playing with him. He will not be lonely. He will hear the sound of your voice and chirp at you, he'll hear the refrigerator door open and let you know he's waiting for his carrot or lettuce. He will equate you with love and happiness. What more could he ask for.

You'll also need to consider that with two pigs your cage will need cleaning twice as often. The feed will cost you twice as much, and you'll have to try to divide your time and attention in half. So logically speaking a single boar is the best choice for you. And if your brother is there that one little guy will get twice as much attention.

So don't worry about having to provide him with a buddy. You will have a happy and playful pig that will give you many hours of pleasure.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen