Guinea Pigs/sickness

Question
I have a GP female about 4 yrs. old. She just recently lost her cage mate. She was always underwieght but active. Recently she appears to be unable to stand sometimes laying on her side moving her feet as if she is trying to get and can not. Other times she appears to have no problem. She is eating and drinking, however she feels lighter in weight. She is not purring or squeaking.

Answer
Janis, this is a very bad sign. At 4 yrs old she is a senior and from what you're saying she is telling you she has reached the end of her time. Sadly, guinea pigs do not live nearly long enough. The average life span is only 4 to 5 years. There are exceptions of course, but generally speaking a pig of 5 is considered old.

There is nothing you can do to change the inevitable. The first sign is almost always weight loss. Their body functions are starting to give out. The kidneys and liver are typically the first to fail. I'm so sorry I have nothing in the way of good news for you, but you trusted me to give you an honest answer and that's what I have to do even when the answer is not one of great hope.

She will soon join her cage mate is she has not already by the time you read this. My best to you. I wish I had something more positive to give you.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen