Guinea Pigs/blood in urine

Question
I have a 3 yr old male short hair guinea pig that for the last month has been peeing blood OFF and on. I had a female a few years ago and every time she ate a lot of greens SHE peed blood and had to get antibiotics from the vet and always got better. AFTER many days of eating SPINACH now this little man started with this. The antibiotics were not easy to give my other piggy a few years ago(she would bite), HOPING not the same problem. Can you ADVISE?Thanks!

Answer
It's doubtful that the greens caused blood in the urine. The most common thing that causes hematuria, aka bloody urine, is kidney or bladder stones. That usually takes several weeks to develop as they start out as tiny grains of sand and build up over time.

Spinach has been linked to kidney stones if eaten in large quantities over a period of time. If you suspect that's the problem the quickest way to find out is to stop giving spinach. If you're feeding this to supplement Vit C the best way to give it is parsley. It's higher in Vit C than any other vegetable.

Some vegetables can cause the urine to turn pink. Beets are the best example.

In order to tell if this is really blood and not darkened or discolored urine you'd have to take a sample to the vet. The best way to do that is put your pig in a plastic shoebox type container with no bedding or paper towels. Guinea pigs urinate frequently, so just watch her until she goes. If the vet asks for a specimen he will give you a sterile container or small jar. Use an eyedropper to suck up the urine and transfer it to the container.

The vet can test it to see if it's actually blood and if there is any sign of infection. That way it can be properly treated with the right medication.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen