Guinea Pigs/breed

avery and squeaky
avery and squeaky  
hi, I have two male guinea pigs, Avery and squeaky. Avery is just over three and squeaky is two 1/2. they are not brothers and are kept in separate cages. they don't get along.
I was wondering what breeds they are. I have attached pictures of each. Avery is the calico, and squeaky is albino.
also, what breed is my brother's? he is the brown one, and is about a year old, lenni.

They're all beautiful pigs Gabby.  Thank you for the pictures.

As for the breeds they are all American. Americans have short smooth hair. Within each of the 13 breeds of guinea pigs they are catagorized by their 'variety' or in layman's terms pattern and color.

There is no albino gene in guinea pigs. It would be rather lengthy and confusing to try to explain the genetic difference, but Avery is known as a Pink Eyed White sometimes called a PEW.  If he had black eyes he would called a Dark Eyed White.

Squeaky is called a Tortoise Shell and White or TSW. That describes the colors. For a pig to be a TSW they just be black,red and white. In guinea pigs there are three basic colors, black, red and white.  All other colors are dilutions of red and black.

Lenni is catagorized as a 'Broken' color. His red is not actually red, but diluted to a dark cream. Even if he had some white he would still not be a TSW because he doesn't have red as one of the colors.

If you go to the American Cavy Breeders website you can see pictures of all 13 different breeds and you'll see the different colors as well. The White Satin in that picture belonged to a friend of mine who shared a room with me at the Nationals in Del Mar Calif. where these pictures were taken.

I hope this helps you. I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing how many different breeds there are in guinea pigs.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.