Guinea Pigs/what breed is my guinea pig?

Question
guinea pig
guinea pig  
i own a long haired guinea pig , it is mostly orangy yellow with black stripes (like a tiger) he also has some white here and there, (i attached an image) he is only 10-11 weeks old but i would like to determine his breed, before asking this question i checked loads of guinea pig breed sites but none of them had my little boys species on.
also, he only has one rossette on his back.
what breed is he?

Answer
Young black Peruvian
Young black Peruvian  

Abyssinian
Abyssinian  
If your pig is only 10-11 weeks old my guess is that he is a Peruvian. A Peruvian looks like a long haired Abyssinian. Abys have 10 rosettes on their body but their hair is not very long. It gives them a scruffy appearance, but each rosette is in a set pattern.

Peruvians also have those rosettes, but because the hair grows very long the rosettes are not really visible when they're in what we call 'show coat.' Most Peruvians that are purchased as pets or are used in breeding have had their coats trimmed. When showing they are wrapped in individual wraps and kept on all the time so that the pig cannot chew his coat or break it by stepping on it.

Since your pig is young his coat will not have had an opportunity to grow long and will probably stay at the length you have now. He actually has more rosettes than you can really see. When a Peruvian's coat is long the rosettes give it what we call density. The hair on top of his head between his ears is called the 'frontal' and would eventually grow over his face.

His color is called 'broken' meaning it is two or more colors. I'm attaching a couple of pictures for you. One is a young Peruvian whose coat has not grown out. This pig is a little older than yours and that's why the hair is longer. It's still not an adult and will grow more.

The other picture is an Aby. This particular pig belonged to a friend of mine from Australia and this was taken at one of his shows. You can see the clearly defined rosettes and see they are not very long.

In Australia they have pigs that may look identical to American bred pigs but are actually genetically different. However the Peruvians and Abys in Australia are the same genetically as those in the US.

I hope this helps you out.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen