Guinea Pigs/Guinea pig

Question
What would a growth under the right eye be caused by

Answer
Pea Eye
Pea Eye  
That's a rather vague description of what you're talking about but I think I may have an idea of what you are called 'a growth'.  Guinea pigs occasionally develop a condition known as pea eye, also sometimes called fatty eye.  

It's actually a fatty deposit inside the lower lid in the conjunctival tissues. It's most commonly seen in pigs with a very round, short nose much like a rabbit. I've posted a picture for you of a common case of pea eye.  It is harmless and has no effect whatsoever on the health of the pig. It's just a cosmetic thing.

Guinea pigs are not actually meant to have a short round nose. The wild guinea pigs have rather long noses but because we humans seem to feel the need to change animals into what we define as more attractive we have created issues that are unique to animals who've been altered by selective breeding for traits that the breeders find more desirable.

Dogs are one of the classic victims of this type of breeding. We've bred German Sheperd Dogs to have an over angulated rear and they no longer have the functionality that is still present in the dogs bred in Germany. We wanted Collies to have a long skinny nose.

Bulldogs are one of the most tragically overbred victims of human desire. They've been bred to have such large broad chests that they no longer are able to breed naturally and must be artificially inseminated. The babies must be born by C Section because the necks of the females are so thick they can't reach down and pull out their own puppies.

Anytime humans begin to alter the normal and natural build of any animal there is a price to pay. With guinea pigs we wanted those short stubby cute noses. We got them, but along with that we got pea eye. For a breeder/exhibitor it's a serious issue. It's passed on to their babies and a pig with pea eye is immediately disqualified from competition in showing.

I hope this is what you are seeing in your pig and not something like a tumor. Tumors are rare in guinea pigs but pea eye is unfortunately too common. If this picture does not show what you are seeing please try to take a picture of your pig and send it so I can get a better idea of what the issue is  I hope this has helped you. I'm sure you can appreciate how difficult it is to diagnose something that I have not seen, but have only a description.  

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen