Guinea Pigs/Adopting a second guinea pig

Question
We have had a female guinea pig for about a year and a half. We are thinking of adopting a second one as a companion (and because we think having two would be twice as fun as one!) Would it be better to get a male or another female? She has been spayed so our only concern is them getting along and living harmoniously. Also, what is the best way to introduce another guinea pig? We have a large cage that could be divided into two separate areas for each.

Answer
Since your pig is spayed it opens the door for more choices for you. If you're going to get a male you can just put him right in with her. Initially he will try to get frisky with her but if you'd like to see how the females rule the roost just watch her. It's actually comical to see how she makes it clear that she's not interested.

He will rumblestrut and purr and sway trying to get her attention. She'll kick at him a couple of times and when he persists, which he will, she will arch her back and squirt a stream of urine directly in his face. They never miss. Talk about 'cooling your jets' this works every time. After that he will leave her alone and wait until she comes into heat, which she won't.

I would recommend a male because female guinea pigs, much like humans, get real pushy and bitchy with one another. Your pig will be naturally territorial and object to a female coming into her home. Sometimes they will even fight and someone gets injured.

I've found that trying to gradually introduce them on neutral ground doesn't work. The issue is the territory, and neutral ground belongs to neither of them. So even if the get along outside of the cage the dispute will start once they're together. The best way is to just put the two together and see what happens.

Having said that I still feel the male would be the best choice. If the other sow is not spayed she will cycle every couple of weeks and they get very hormonal and cranky during that time. Males are actually more easy going once they get settled in. The new boy will figure out he's only there for companionship and life will be happy.

If you get a baby pig you may not have that problem no matter which sex you choose. It seems that if the cage is large enough it greatly lessens the opportunity for territorial disputes. The resident sow will remain the alpha.

I'd be happy to hear which you finally decide on. And of course I'd love to see pictures.

I hope this helps you make your decision.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen