Guinea Pigs/Hi

Question
daffodill
daffodill  
Daffodill
Daffodill  
QUESTION: Hi I am the girl with the pet guinea pig named daffodil!
I was holding her this morning and I was pretty shore something kicked my hand when I was feeling her belly. it was a light tap kind of. now I see her belly moving more I don't know if it is a baby or if it is her.
I can not take her to the vet my mom and dad sayed she is fine because she is eating a lot, pooping a lot and drinking a lot so she is fine:)

ANSWER: I don't think there's a reason at this point to go to a vet. Daffodil is indeed pregnant. And you are correct, you are seeing the babies move. She is probably going to deliver within the next few days or a week.

Dad is right about one thing, a guinea pig's wellbeing is directly related to their appetite. If she's eating fine she is not in any danger. There's nothing you need to do for her, just sit back and wait. She will take care of everything.

Her babies will be probably be born in the early morning hours. It seems like mine always wait until just around dawn to have their babies. The pups will be born looking just like little miniatures of their parents. Their eyes will be wide open, their mouth is full of teeth, their fur is fully developed and they are ready to run right away.

Don't disturb her or pick her up anymore as she will be very uncomfortable. When she has her babies they will stay in whatever corner she has given birth, waiting for her to tell them it's okay to move. She won't nurse the pups until she's completely finished delivering all that needs to be delivered. That means the remaining placentas, etc. Just leave her alone and don't try to help.

Once she has started to nurse the babies you can hold them. Be careful though, they are very fast and can leap out of your hands in a flash.

I'm just taking a guess that she will have four pups. I could be wrong, but she is pretty full of babies.  And just in case you're wondering, her breed is an American which is short haired and smooth coated. Her color is lilac and white. She may have a couple of babies that look like her but also some that look like dad.

Keep a camera ready so you can take pictures. And be sure to send me some!

QUESTION: Ok will do but I think it is just 1 because when she is stretching out it looks like she is skinny when she goes back to plump and I will send you pics of the baby or babies :)
the first picture of her is her laying there and the second picture is of her standing. and thank you so mooch for your help I will stop holding her.
one more thing the day she is going to give birth will she act normal, will she stop eating, just lay there, and the sound they make when in labor is it loud or is it quiet?

ANSWER: Their labor is absolutely silent. She will hunch up as though she's going to poo, then gives a push or two and the baby pops out. You don't need to do anything. It's best to allow her to do what she is programmed to do, and that's giving birth.

Just seeing the size isn't always an indicator of how many babies there are. I once had a very young sow that got pregnant before I got her. She was only a couple of months old. I didn't realize she was pregnant until she was almost ready for delivery.  To my surprise she popped out four babies whose combined weight was almost as she weighed.

The babies were fine, mother was fine and everyone grew up to be beautiful pigs.

QUESTION: Ok thank you and the pelvic bone is it at the but because if allowed her spin to her but and there was a small opening! And is ok for her to be jumping or pop Corning she sometimes runs to she is a baby still herself but is it ok?

Answer
The pelvic bone is felt at what we call the 'vent' or opening of her vagina. They begin to loosen about 48 hours prior to delivery to allow the bones to spread enough for the babies to pass through. Don't worry about those bones and ligaments and don't try to touch them.

The fact that she's popcorning and running around is a good sign. It means she feels good and has lots of energy. She won't do more than she's capable of doing.

You will probably wake up one morning and there will be a few extra little eyes looking at you. I suspect probably within the next week or so, but sometimes they fool us. Your job at this point is just to keep your camera ready. This will be an exciting time for the whole family.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen