Guinea Pigs/Hi

QUESTION: Hi it is the girl with the guinea pig Daffodil sorry it is not letting my respond ok so I just got done watching daffodil for I think 25-30 min and she was sleeping the howl time but at the end she was laying down and eating then she went over to her hay and layed down to tae that is that ok she is laying down a lot more and when she is in her hiding house thing she lays on her side  but it is hard for her to find a comphy spot.
is she going to have her baby or babies soon?

ANSWER: It's hard to tell how soon but my guess is within the next week to ten days, maybe sooner. She's lying down more because the babies take energy from her and she knows she needs her rest. She will be active for awhile then will sleep awhile. That's normal.

Everything is going to be fine. Can't wait to see pictures of her new family.

QUESTION: Ok thank you sorry this is my first guinea pig that is having a baby or babies I am happy and scared I think the cage is baby proof once the babies are born I am going to make the cage bigger! And for daffodil how long do I Waite to hold her?

Nursing mom
Nursing mom  
It's perfectly natural to be worried when it's your first time having a litter. Just remember that nature has provided animals with natural instincts when it comes to reproduction. I don't know what kind of cage you have but the only thing you have to baby proof is the sides of the cage to make sure the wire isn't large enough for a baby to crawl through.

And easy temporary solution is to cut some pieces of cardboard in strips about the length of the cage and about six inches high. The babies grow very fast so you don't need to put a barrier up for more than a couple of weeks. If you're going to do this you can attach the strips to the outside of the cage and hold them in place with either clothespins or cable ties.

I'm sure your dad will help you figure a way to keep the babies in. They don't usually try to get out of the cage as they will want to stay close to mom. As far as holding her again I wouldn't pick her up for the first week after the babies are born. She will be very busy trying to keep her little family fed and won't want to be away from them for more than a couple of minutes.

The sow only has two nipples but can feed as many babies as she has. They only nurse for a couple of minutes at a time, but will nurse many times during the day and night. Mom won't lie down on her side like a dog or cat. She will stand up and arch her back so the little ones can get their heads underneath her to nurse.

The hardest thing to do is leave them alone for the first few days. You can handle the babies, Daffodil won't mind. Just keep in mind that they are very very quick and can easily jump right out of your hands. Keep one hand on top of them at all times to protect them.

You don't need to worry about her, she is going to do just fine.

Guinea Pigs

Pat VanAllen

As is sometimes the case, people in urgent need of information have a higher degree of expectation than those of us as experts are able to give. The experts on this site do their best to give the most accurate and responsible answers possible. We ask that you remember that it is not our intention nor place to criticize the professional advice given by your veterinarian, nor is it appropriate for us to comment on the correctness of a diagnosis made by a licensed physician. Our knowledge is experience based. Although many years of breeding and showing cavies gives me a wealth of experience it cannot change the fact that we as experts are not veterinarians and therefore may occasionally have to reject questions that appear to be asking us to criticize advice given by the licensed professional. Having raised and exhibited cavies for many years I have extensive experience in cavy care and husbandry. I currently have an active breeding program for pedigreed show animals but do not encourage backyard breeding for inexperienced owners. Although I don't encourage breeding for fun I'm always happy to answer any questions from an owner who is in sincere need of help. Pet owners wanting to breed should understand that even experienced breeders have litter losses. The mortality rate is high in cavies. The chance for losing both sow and pups is always present, even with experience. Although this is a site for experts to assist owners, there is no expert in any field who has all the answers. The wisest thing a good expert can know is their limitations. Not having an answer does not diminish one's ability or knowledge. It simply shows that we recognize our limitations and operate within them.

Raised and shown cavies for many years, having aquired my first cavies in the early 1970's as pets. My caviary currently handles 65 + animals in two different breeds and several varieties. Having been in the health care industry as a licensed nurse for 35 years I have hands on experience with care and needs in both humans and cavies. Member of American Rabbit Breeders Association and American Cavy Breeders Association.

Awarded Lifetime Membership in of one of the oldest cavy clubs in the United States, on whose Board I served as Sec/Treas for six years and currently serving as President. Also editor/publisher of the club's quarterly newsletter. We are strong supporters of our youth exhibitors, most of whom are 4H members who are working on cavy projects. Through these projects they become good responsible citizens. We deal with all aspects of showing, breeding, caring for and sharing experiences in the fancy. The cavy fancy is not a new one but in some areas is still relatively unknown. Our goal is to inspire interest in high quality, responsible breeding to improve the species, not just the reproduction of guinea pigs. Our job is to educate owners to help them make the right decisions and choices in the care of their cavies.

Graduate in nursing. Certified in emergency medicine.